Thursday, August 23, 2007

Upstairs - Downstairs


Dude, I only WISH these were mine. This is the goal.
(without the writing). I think we are doing white on the risers to match the rest of the trim in the house. The treads we'll do just a real light almost natural colored poly. Walls will be your basic light beige. Its going to be a great place to hang photos and things when its done... someday.







Ours were like this, shag rust colored carpet. Ick. I will say this, I don't know what kind of carpet this was, but it sure wore well. It was nice and thick and it was evident to us that the prior owners animals thought it was pretty nice because they sure stunk it up. No amount of cleaning was going to work so it had to go. We lucked out underneath and found beautiful wood stair treads and painted risers. They are coated with old finish and paint, but I'm digging in and stripping them down. Its going to take a while, but I'm hopefull they'll turn out well. I may be on a constant Zip Strip high for the next week or so working on these, but I think they are worth it.












Here's what they look like at the start. So far I've barely started on the stripping, I'll post more as I work my way up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I salute you and your efforts on the stairs! I just bought a 1921 Foursquare and will have to sand and refinish ALL the wood trim and staircase. Needless to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the whole thought.
Looking forward to continued reading on your experiences and seeing the finished project!