Thursday, August 30, 2007

Still working

Well the stairs are still a work in progress. I've got the upstairs trim and walls painted and they turned out great. All the trim is a crisp clean white and the walls are a nice neutral tan. I'm actually thinking of skipping the carpet in the hall for a while and painting something on the wood. We'll carpet it later, but for now something fun is in order.

Now.... the stairs themselves... yikes. The more I strip them the more they squeak, its like all the years of crud is holding them together. I think I have a new plan though. I'm still stripping the treads but I'm going to get some good oak faced plywood and fit it to the existing risers. The stairs are nice and wide so taking up 3/4 of an inch is no big deal. It should take care of the squeaks and also make it easy to just stain and poly the whole staircase. When its done its going to be great, may take a while longer than expected but its going to be beautiful. I think I might even give up stripping and just start sanding away.

Oh and bonus today, I called a local painter after I saw his truck at the neighbors. He's only charging me 20$ an hour and I supply everything. Thats a bargain to me as there is no freaking way I can reach the vaulted areas on the staircase. So he said 3-4 hrs and he can do the walls of the stairs, and also all the ceilings. Works for me.

No comments: